Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blog Post 8

Richard Miller - This Is How We Dream
"I believe we are living at the moment of the greatest change in human communication in human history." How true is that! In this video, he talks about writing and the changes of writing with technology. Before, people went to libraries, check out books, wrote on paper. Now, you buy books online or download them, we use Word Processor to write, and google things we do not know instead of using a dictionary. He also talks about an article he wrote through the internet as an incremental change, not fundamental change. He didn't sit down and actually write it, he just typed it up and clicked save.
I see the good in both of these. Like I've said and my opinion hasn't and I don't think it will change, we should only use so much of technology. I think it's a great thing! I also think kids learning how to write on paper and read in a book is a great thing. We just have to know how to balance those two and incorporate both in our teachings. I can't imagine writing a long paper or book for that matter on paper, but I do know how because I was taught that. I was also taught how to type a paper and research online, as well as a library. I think it's important our future students know both ways, as well. In high school we always had to have resources from both books and internet for our papers. I couldn't agree with that more. I hate to see actual books and libraries be replaced by technology. I think we are at a balance of the two now, but it looks like technology will soon be taking over the way we learn and that's a scary thought for me. I want my students to know how to do things without a computer and I don't want them to rely on technology. We live in a great big world with tons of resources that are being ignored; for example, the use of libraries now or just being outside and learning from nature. Kids never go outside anymore, there too carried away with computers and video games. It amazes me how many cool things you can do with technology, but people forget how many cool things can be done without it, too. In all, I'm all for technology and couldn't live without my laptop, iPhone, or internet; but I know how if I had to. I know how to balance the two, use them equally, and know how important each is. I hope to teach my students the same.
In part two, he pushes technology with writing and presenting. He is right, it is fascinating and you can't not be interested in it. I believe teaching technology is a big deal and kids should be exposed, taught, and use it; as well as being exposed, taught, and use a library.
Our future is now; this is how we dream.

Chipper
Chipper Series & EDM310 for Dummies
These videos give a great example of how students feel in this class at first, overwhelmed and confused! If we had an EDM 310 for Dummies book, it would be something you could keep throughout the years and rely back to, as well as using it for this class. I think some of these videos we are just now watching should be showed the first day of class or encouraged to watch before the first day of class. I had no idea what this class was and I think watching an intro of what should be done throughout the semester would have been extremely helpful.

Change
Learn to Change, Change to Learn
I really liked this video. I agree with the lady who made the comment about kids knowing how to text, email, etc., but yet not allowed to have those things in school. Another good point made in this video was a guy saying teachers must accept technology because it is not a choice, it is a world itself. It is not here to help teach traditional subjects, but it has emerged into a new environment we must know. I see some of the points made about using twitter and facebook. Those things are a kids world and showing them they can be used educationally too, is getting them more involved with learning about technology. There is a time for this to be taught in school, but it shouldn't over power traditional learning.

The Secret Powers of Time - Philip Zambardo
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us - David Pink

I've never thought about the way people view the past, present, and future like this video does. I really liked it and it gives you something to think about. He says you have to trust your decisions by knowing they will carry out in the future. I always say somewhat the same. You have to believe and have faith in what you are doing for it to matter. He made a good reason why boys drop out of school more than girls. I see how that applies, but the people I know of who dropped out was mainly from parents not pushing or caring about their child's education or the person gets in with the wrong crowd and doesn't take their education seriously. I do see where his theory is true, but I wouldn't say for every guy. I do agree that guys who play video games non-stop are less social which causes a problem in school.
The second video, he stresses on the higher the reward, the better the performance. You see this all the time in schools. Good behavior, you get a reward. A lot of teachers take advantage of this and think of it as the only way for students to behave by bribing them and that way they do not have to deal with the hard issues or even they do not know how to deal with them. Are they learning how to behave if they are only doing it for a prize? I don't think so at all. Telling a student if you behave please, I'll give you something, does not teach them anything. They do not know why they are supposed to behave, other than to get a reward. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for rewarding good behavior but a lot of people use this too much as a life saver to get through the day. Higher the reward, better the performance is certainly true, but it shouldn't be relied on. The best motivation is encouragement and being treated as an equal individual.
Both of these videos were very interesting and hard not to watch with the drawings. They are both good attention grabbers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary-Katelin,

    I think that you are right that there needs to be some balance with technology and life outside of work and education. I think in a way technology can make that easier that without it. Sure technology can be a distraction from things that are important, but it can also help us understand what is most important to us as individuals.

    In you post you said: "There is a time for this to be taught in school, but it shouldn't over power traditional learning." I really don't know what you mean by "traditional learning". I know that technology in the classroom will change the way students learn, and the way teachers teach.

    I agree that rewarding good behavior can get sticky sometimes. I know that sometimes students need to be acknowledged when they show good behavior and many students need that from teachers. But, I know there are some times where this can get confused with good behavior, and good grades. Some teachers give students good grades because of their behavior and not their performance.

    Good post Mary-Katelin,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete