Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blog Post 10

An Open Letter To Educators - Morgan Bayda
In her post, she says school was always boring and she didn't learn from sitting in two hour classes taking notes with teachers who don't know you or care about your opinions. Then, she had a professor much like Dr. Strange, who taught his class by Twitter, Blogger, videos, etc. These classes are so much more interesting and educational. I feel like I'm actually learning in this class now that I've got the hang of it. This semester I don't have any classes or teachers who absolutely bore me and don't teach to learn. I think that is mainly because I'm actually in my field of education and everyone here is passionate about learning, but I struggled tremendously making myself learn and be interested in the basics I had to take to get here and I can honestly say I don't know a single person who is not with me on that. I know there is, but no one I know of. She gives examples of ways she has used communicating outside of school, from what she learned in the class much like this one. Morgan added a video she found on Delicious of Dan Brown who dropped out of school because his schooling was interfering with his education. He makes the comment that unlike the world we live in tells us, we don't have to go to school to succeed or make something of ourselves. I do not agree with his choices, but he is very confident in his beliefs. He says the world has lost sight in what education really is. It's not about teaching facts but empowering students to change the world and make a difference. He claims the problem is we are still using the same system created hundreds of years ago called schooling, instead of educating.

Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home! - Tom Johnson
"A must read for all teachers" - Click here to view Tom Johnson's blog post showing a great example on how we focus too much on what to do and not enough on how to think. In other words, we tend to focus on what the problem is, but never how to think about why there is a problem.
think

2 comments:

  1. Mary-Katelin,
    I myself did not retain much of anything from the core classes we were required to take. I have learned more the past two semester in my education classes then any other classes I have taken. I do agree with Dan Brown that education has lost sight in what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that school has become twenty times more exciting ever since I was able to start applying what I was learning to the non-university world. I too watched a few of Dan Brown's videos, and I wonder what his purpose in life is right now. I think he is making plenty of money off of his productions, but they seem a bit sophomoric to me. I think I am mostly disappointed because he has the creativity and drive to really become a change agent in this world, and now he seems to be spending time jumping on his pogo stick talking about random stuff. I hope he surprises me soon!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete