Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blog Post 3

laptop

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
I couldn’t agree more with this video. When I first started college, I was overwhelmed with class sizes, schedules, and times of classes. I didn’t take college serious at first, which was a big mistake. I never understood why I had to take all those basics. Even now I don’t remember anything about the class so why did I take them then? I wasn’t into learning something I didn’t need to know, so I didn’t try my best. I just wanted to skip all that and get to where I’m at now in the Education Department. Of course now, I know that everything I do matters. I take college more serious because I’m so ready to be done and start teaching. Also, because it’s way more interesting to me than those classes I was required to take. I mean, this is what I want to do with my life, so of course I’m more interested and motivated in school now. But before, I’m on the same page with the people in the video. It definitely captures college life.
At the end when the teacher wrote on the board about what good a chalkboard does, I think the same thing. We need technology in classrooms, it is essential to learning. Most classrooms now have smart boards which to me are the greatest things. When I’m subbing, I can see that the kids love being able to have carpet time and do work and activities on the smart board. It’s entertaining and educational. There behavior is always much better during carpet time because they are doing what they like to do, it’s very hands on. Sitting down in a desk and doing workbook pages makes them bored and cause behavior problems. In a lot of classrooms now, they have eliminated chalkboards and whiteboards by covering them up with charts and making them some what bulletin boards. Some say if they have a smart board in their classroom, they don’t need anything else.

“It’s Not About the Technology” by Kelly Hines
Kelly Hines says if a student hasn’t learned, the teacher hasn’t taught. She also makes the same point as I have before; teachers must also be learners. We have to learn from our students, as well as them learning from us. We also have to know our students, and know how they learn best as an individual. I know I learn something better and faster when it is taught one on one, or if I can see it visually, as in using pictures. I’ve noticed students in my classes being the same way and since I learn like they do, it was easy for me to teach them because I understood where they were coming from and what makes sense to them and they understand it. I love the feeling when a student gets something because you taught it, they understand it from you.
I strongly agree that teachers must be educated in technology to teach it. Like Kelly Hines said, if not, it goes to waste. Without this EDM 310 class, I wouldn’t know half of what I’ve learned already. Without subbing and being in schools so much, I would walk into my first day of school not knowing how to work a smart board. I haven’t been taught how to use a smart board, but after playing around with it, it’s pretty self-explanatory. The problem is some teachers, mostly older ones, aren’t in to this technology stuff so it does go to waste. Having technology in a classroom can be good or bad, depending on the teacher and how well the teacher is educated in using it.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Like I just said, I think all teachers should know technology and how to use it, especially or even if it’s just for the classroom, such as computers and smart boards. I do think it is ridiculous that kids so young have cell phones, their own laptops and what not. I think technology is taking over kids’ youth, but I do think in a classroom it is essential for learning.
I like this comment he made, “If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write.” It says a lot about how technology has grown and is now equivalent to reading and writing. It is kind of harsh, but in today’s society I think it’s very relevant because that’s how most young people view technology today. Although I say technology is very important in a classroom, which it is, but hands on activities can sometimes be even more important.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
This social media count shows just how much technology is increasing over every second. That’s part of the reason I say every teacher should be educated on technology because in a few years, it seems like that’s all people will depend on. It’s kind of sad to see that no one uses books or CDs anymore, there’s all these iPads and iPhones that are used instead. I know it seems like I’m bashing this new technology or I sound hypocritical, because I have an iPhone and MacBook and all that too, but I still like the real books and magazines, I don’t want to read them on a computer type deal, I like having the book. It amazes me that all these young kids have all this technology and know how to use it better than I do.

1 comment:

  1. Smartboards are not, in my opinion, the end all/be all of technology. Yes, they can be useful in getting some kids involved. What if, however, we could take that money and give every kid their own iPod Touch or iPad to use to connect to "all information in all places at all times"?

    " ...if a student hasn’t learned, the teacher hasn’t taught." Do you agree? I certainly don't. I think my responsibility is to create an environment where learning can take place. But if it doesn't I do not want to be held responsible. I have 20 students this semester in EDM310 that have not done a single assignment and six others who have only done one or two assignments. Is that my fault? I don't think so!

    Books A Million will file for bankruptcy next week and will probably go out of business soon. Amazon sells more electronic books than printed boos - NOW! You too may have an ipad for reading in your future!

    ReplyDelete