Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blog Post 1

Hey everyone! I’m Mary-Katelin McFerrin. I was born and raised here in Mobile, Alabama. I attended Cottage Hill Christian Academy until my freshman year in high school when I transferred to Davidson High and graduated in 2008. I am a junior in elementary education and could not be more ready to be in my own classroom! I chose South because it was close to home and the majority of my friends were also staying home and attending South. It was an easy choice for me. I have also always heard that South has a great education program.
I have danced since I was two years old and have been teaching dance for the past five years. I also was a cheerleader in high school. I love boat rides, fishing, weekends at the beach house and going to our hunting camp.
Even at five years old when you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer has always been a teacher. I have never imagined me doing anything else. Teaching is my passion and I love every minute of it. Being able to teach dance has truly opened my eyes to how much I love children. I am also a substitute teacher almost everyday. It amazes me how much teachers take off! When I am not subbing, I work with my mom at her job for an oil company. It’s a family business and I love being there. I worked there everyday throughout high school, and now just when I have time. I also keep a baby boy, who is like family, when I am not subbing. He comes first in all my jobs though.
I hope to graduate in the next year and start working on my masters degree. I would love more than anything to be at the school of my choice and to teach first grade. I believe if you feel good about yourself and believe what you do matters, you will succeed in it, especially knowing you could be making a difference in a child's life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Katie!

    Welcome to EDM310!

    Great post! It's funny reading this because when you talk about your childhood, I was there for a lot of it! Ahh, good times at Cottage Hill! I used to love going to your dance recitals every year too! :)

    It's amazing that you've always known you wanted to be a teacher. I'm glad to know you are pursuing your dream!

    Your blog looks great, but just be sure to add pictures complete with title and alt modifiers for all of your upcoming blog posts!

    I can't wait to see what you come up with this semester!

    - AH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex! I know, I'm glad we are still friends now, too. We have lots of memories! I'll definitly be needing some help with the blog stuff, so be ready ;)

    ReplyDelete